The following Verse and Response are prayed seven times,
in honor of the Seven Sorrows and Seven Joys of St. Joseph
O Glorious St. Joseph, through the love you do bear for Jesus Christ,
and for the glory of His Holy Name,
Hear our prayers and obtain our petitions.
Let us Pray:
Glorious St. Joseph, Spouse of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, obtain for me a pure, humble, and charitable mind, and perfect resignation to the Divine Will. Be my guide, spiritual father, and model through life, that I may merit to die as you did, in the arms of Jesus and Mary. Amen.
St. Joseph, Friend of the Sacred Heart, Pray for Us!
The Seven Sorrows of St. Joseph
- His doubts, wonder, and awe regarding Mary’s pregnancy
- His pain at the lowly poverty of Jesus’ birthplace
- Watching the circumcision and witnessing Jesus’ first Blood spilled for us
- Listening to the painful, prophetic message from Simeon
- Having to take the Holy Family into exile in Egypt
- The hard trip back from Egypt to Nazareth
- The loss of the Child Jesus for three days
The Seven Joys of St. Joseph
- The Angel’s message of joy regarding the Sacred Incarnation
- The Wise Men and Angels adore the Infant Jesus
- Having the honor of naming Jesus
- Knowing the effects of Jesus’ redemptive work
- The idols of Egypt falling at Jesus’ feet (Cf., Isaiah 19:1; Tobit 14:6-7)
- Holy Family life with Jesus and Mary
- Finding Jesus in the Temple after three days of His being lost