The Salvific Aspect of Suffering
(ie., The fact that Suffering can be Redemptive)
– Six Benefits of Suffering –
- Suffering unites the sufferer with Jesus Christ and His Cross.
- Suffering helps us to be more sympathetic toward others who are suffering.
- Embracing suffering helps us to expiate and make reparation for past sins; that is, the temporal punishment due for them, which must be expiated either on earth or in Purgatory.
- Suffering can be offered-up for one’s personal needs and intentions, and/or for the personal needs and intentions of others.
- Suffering strengthens personal character, thus leading to growth in such virtues as patience, fidelity and peace.
- Suffering benefits the caregiver(s), in that he/or she/or they can benefit from and strengthen their views on compassion, patience and fidelity.